- Your last meal should be two to three hours before your start time.
- Have a drink and something to eat soon after finishing your race. This will replace the energy you have used and help you to recover more quickly.
- Registration will be open 1 hour before race start and close 20 mins before race start.
- The race briefing will be at 15 mins before start.
- Wetsuits are normally not compulsory but depends on the temperature of the river on the day.
- Allow time to put your wetsuit on.
- If using goggles, use a ‘regular’ pair, don’t risk new goggles until you are sure they fit.
- Do a warm up before starting and some simple stretches. This will help you avoid strains later on. You may be allowed to warm up in the water depending on time and safety cover.
- Pace yourself!
- The clock starts at the beginning of the swim and stops when you finish the run, so quick changeovers are important.
- Don’t spend too long getting dried – you soon dry out when you start running.
- Put a little talcum powder in your running shoes, this makes it easier to put wet feet into them.
- Make sure your laces are loose enough to slip your feet in. Instead of tying laces, consider buying lace locks that will hold your laces tight. Practise putting your running shoes on quickly.
- Don’t use new kit, stick to what you are comfortable with.
- Try to keep running – remember jogging is faster than walking.
- Pace yourself
- Finish with a smile – you never know who is taking photographs!
- Most of all ENJOY YOURSELF!!